Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Art is everywhere

This past weekend, I visited one of my favorite little shops in San Diego, Pigment.  This shop sells adorable home decor and accessories.  If you are ever in the neighborhood, check Pigment out.  It's a great place to find perfect gifts for those you care about. 


Terrariums - Pigment

In particular I love this shop for all the wonderful, creative, terrariums it sells.  You can even buy DIY kits to make your own. Revisiting this shop inspired today's post regarding Terrarium as art. To be honest, I have this uncanny ability to kill any plant I have, including succulents and air plants - the two types of plants that are very hard to kill.  What can I say, it's a gift.  But that doesn't stop me from looking at terrariums and appreciating the work that goes into creating a beautiful tiny landscape.

Terrarium - Kim Holleman

Artist Kim Holleman uses found objects and trash to create terrarium sculptures. Her pieces express her views on our current environmental state and our possible future. There is a colorful beauty to her 'sculptures' but at the same time a point to be made. 

Terrariums - Twig Terrariums

My favorite type of Terrarium art is where there is a miniature world happening. 

Terrariums - Twig Terrariums

Terrariums - Twig Terrariums

Some of the best "miniature" terrarium worlds I have seen is at Twig Terrariums.  They sell DIY kits, but also imaginative ready-made terrariums. 

Terrariums - Paula Hayes

Terrariums - Paula Hayes

Artist Paula Hayes creates these gorgeous biospheres highlighting the beauty of nature.  Her work has been displayed in galleries like MoMA.

Terrariums are like zen gardens - beautiful and relaxing. Try your hand at one and you'll be hooked. 

1 comment:

  1. Pigment is one of my favorite shops to stop by too! I'm going to put off rebuilding my now defunct terrarium since I don't think I have much of a green thumb! Although when I eventually attempt to grow another one I would love to add a miniature world to it! Love the couple sitting together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...