Monday, November 12, 2012

Creepy and Cute

I have a thing for creepy and cute things.


It began when I started collecting Day of the Dead figures. These figures are the skeletons depicted in activities they enjoyed doing when they were alive. The figures are classic in Mexican Folk Art. Skeletons in general are kind of creepy, but when they are playing instruments in a mariachi band then not so much. 



It didn't take long before my next obsession was with Tim Burton's "Nightmare Before Christmas." I started collecting the characters: Jack Skellington, Sally, Oogie Boogie, The Mayor, Lock, Stock and Barrel. Again, skeletons kind of creepy, but when it's a skeleton dressed as Santa Claus then not so much. 



Lately, I've been into the creepy meets cute meets romantic (in an off way).  One of my favorite vinyl figures is my Stick Boy and Match Girl in Love. These characters came from another Tim Burton creation - his book "The Melancholy Death of Oyster Boy." I'm not sure if this book was meant for children, because a lot of his characters meet untimely ends, but it was just the right amount of twisted for me.  Let's just say a Stick and Match can only love each other from afar because once they touch each other...well, can we say "hunka-hunka burning love?"



My brother recently got me to watch "Indie Game - The Movie." I would definitely recommend this film (and while you are at it rent "The King of Kong: a Fistful of Quarters"). One of the games shown in this film was called "Super Meat Boy."  Meat Boy is a boy without skin who has to get passed perilous cutting machines to rescue his girlfriend, Bandage Girl. This boy without skin who would risk his life for the one person who can protect him (her bandages over his exposed body) is pure poetic...


(photo via Team Meat Blog)
...of course the plushies are what I want.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...